Monday, July 30, 2012

astrology myth or science

How stupid did i look and feel after a friend asked me if i believed in horoscope readings and star signs. Trying to appear somehow more educated and knowledgeable and not easily fooled. i replied with my convinced believers voice that the generalised daily version in the newpapers were bull shit. Furthermore, that i got my personalized reading properly carried out using my date of birth time etc. i felt proud of myself that i wasn't just another joe bloggs on the street and i could very proudly stand in the same side of the street he (mr all knowledgeable) was in. So proud also cos i have a tattoo mostly designed by myself adorned  my left shoulder.
For years i have been proud of being a sagittarian. honest and one of a kind. I guess it could have being worse for my mind and soul to cope with the fact that i have being lied to all this years if i really lived my life on the codes and beliefs of traits which i held true of sagittarians. For me astrology was more a guide and a good confirmation of traits i guess i would have liked to have. It gave me a sense of belonging. True codes and traits that one was born with that could not be changed and or taken away from me.

Doubts have always crept into my mind over the years as to why, when ever i met another sagittarian and not just any. One that we shared the same date. Mostly not the same year or birth time or even location of birth; that we were so so different. With regards mannerism and personality. Several times i asked myself why? but not knowing the answer and not being able to question the scientific belief system i held true for so long. I always dismissed them as a rarity. and that we were most like the opposites of a coin. but the same coin nonetheless.


"The Chinese Zodiac is based on a twelve-year cycle used for dating the years. Twelve animals represent a cyclical concept of time. Every year is assigned an animal name, or "sign", according to a repeating cycle: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Boar. Therefore, every twelve years the same animal name or "sign" would reappear. Chinese horoscopes predicts a person's personality trait based on that's person birth year. The Chinese do not regard these horoscopes as serious. They often use them as a social tool to figure out each other age, or to find out who is the oldest, among friends and acquaintances."

extract from yahoo choices
Published by Tony S.
Student and writer.  View profile

interesting link on the debunking and scientific studies done on astrology. a must read.
further reading here. Master statistician and psychologist ; Michel Gauquelin

No comments:

Post a Comment